Wuauserv is a valid Windows system feature that works only when Windows Update is running.
Sometimes, Windows Update starts using a high amount of resources to check for online updates. This causes the Wuauserv service to increase the CPU’s volume usage.
Must Check: Regex101
In this simple guide, you will find the easiest ways in which you can fix a Wuauserv high CPU usage error. All the various 4 methods you are being mentioned below help you related to the service issue of Wuauserv and you will see how you can make it with these simple methods. Here is the answer to it step by step below.
Methods to Fix Wuauserv High CPU Usage
Thankfully, there are several ways in which you can fix the high CPU usage by Wuauserv. Follow the simple solutions which are mentioned below to easily fix this high CPU usage error quite easily here by the below-given process. All the 4 steps are proven and quick steps so if one doesn’t work, switch to the other one and by the end, it is going to be sorted out.
Must Check: International Keyboard Windows 10
Method 1: Install Windows Update
Sometimes, updating your Windows to the latest version fixes problems on the computer.
Therefore, installing the latest Windows update on your computer should fix the problem associated with the Wuauserv service.
Follow the steps given below to easily install Windows Update:
Must Check: Unable to Connect to NVIDIA
The first step includes the updating process and for that here is the step by step process completely:
- Go to the search bar on your Windows and type update and press enter
- A new window will open with all available Windows updates
- If an update is available, click on the Install Updates option
- Wait until the process is complete and then restart your computer
- After the restart, check to see if this issue is resolved. If the error still exists, proceed to the next solution.
Must Check: Spotify Not Responding
Method 2: Uninstall Recent Windows Updates
Now you can complete this uninstallation process which is going to be given below here. Follow those below:
- Sometimes even recently updated Windows may have the Wuauserv service to start using higher amounts of CPU.
- Therefore, uninstalling Windows Update recently can fix this system error.
- Follow the steps below to easily uninstall recent Windows updates:
- Press Windows logo key + R to launch the run application
- In the dialog box, type control and then press Enter
- View the category with a large icon
- Now find the options program and features and then click on it
- On the left panel of the new window, click View Installed Updates
- Right-click on a recent Windows update and then click Uninstall.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, close all windows and restart your computer
- After the system is restarted, launch the taskbar to see if the Wuauserv service is still using a large number of CPU resources.
- If the problem is not resolved, proceed to the next solution.
Must Check: Audio Services Not Responding
Method 3: Delete the contents of the Software Distribution folder
The SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer stores all temporary files related to Windows Update.
If there are any corrupt files present in this folder that cause the error, it is better to delete the contents of this folder to correct the problem.
- To delete the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder, follow the simple steps below:
- Go to the search bar near the Windows Start menu
- In the dialog box, type the command, but do not press enter
- After the search result appears, right-click the command prompt and then click Run as administrator
- If asked for permission, click yes to proceed
- Once the command prompt opens, type in the command net stop voucher, press Enter and wait until the process is over.
- Now again, type the command net stop bits, press enter and then wait until the process is over.
- After the process finishes, minimize the command prompt window
- Press Windows logo key + E to launch File Explorer
- Navigate to C: \> Windows> SoftwareDistribution
- Delete all files in the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Restore command prompt window
- Type in the command net start voucher, press Enter and then wait until the process is over.
- Again, type the command net start bits, press enter and then wait until the process is over.
- After the process finishes, restart your computer
- Now look to see if the Vujerve service is still using a high amount of CPU on your computer.
This should solve the problem of facing your computer. However, if the problem still persists, then proceed to the next solution.
Must Check: Widevine Content Decryption Module
Method 4: Stop Wuauserv
If nothing solves your problem, it is prudent to temporarily stop the Wuauserv service. This will free up the resources of your computer and increase the processing speed of the system.
- However, the only drawback is that you have to manually install Windows Update.
- If you are willing to stop Wuauserv service on your system, follow the simple steps below.
- Press Windows logo key + R to launch the Run
- In the dialog box, type MSC and then press the Enter button of your computer.
- This will open the list of all services running on your computer.
- From the list of services, locate Windows Update and then double-click on it to launch its properties.
- Set startup type to disabled and then click stop
- Finally, click OK to save safely and exit
- Now close all open applications and then restart your computer
- Once the computer restarts, check to see if the Wuauserv service is still using a high amount of CPU.
- This solution should definitely fix the problem of high CPU usage on your Windows system.
Must Check: Chrome Find and Replace
How do I Permanently Disable Wuauserv Service?
Right-click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Administrator). Enter net stop wuauserv. Enter the net stop bit. Enter the net stop dose.
How do I enable Windows Update from the command line?
In the command prompt:
Must Check: Generic Pnp Monitor
- Type net stop wuauserv and press enter.
- Type ren c: \ windows \ SoftwareDistribution software distribution. Old and hit enter.
- Type net start wuauserv and press enter.
- Exit the command prompt and try to run Windows Update
How do I Force Windows Update to Start?
Right-click and choose “Run as administrator.” Type (but not yet entered) “wuauclt.exe / updatenow” – This is the command to force Windows Update to check for updates. Back in the Windows Update window, click “Check for Updates” on the left side. It should say “check for updates”
Must Check: Best NES Emulator For Windows 10
How Long Should Windows Update Take?
On a modern PC with solid-state storage, the visible portion of the update must be between 10 and 30 minutes; If Windows is installed on a traditional hard drive, this process will take longer. You can set an installation time of up to five days in the future, but you cannot postpone it indefinitely.
How do I kill Windows Update?
Right-click on the kill-update icon and uncheck the locked option. Go to Windows Settings and go to Updates and Security. You should check out for the latest updates so that you can easily install it onto your computer. Win Update Stop and StopUpdates are 10 such devices you want to see.
Must Check: Discord Stuck On Starting
How do I Restart Windows Update in Windows 10?
Select the Start button for the first and then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. Select Schedule the also restart and choose a time that’s convenient for you.
Must Check: Desktop Windows Manager High CPU DWM.exe
Windows Update is an important feature of the Windows operating system. It is responsible for checking system updates and updating the system if an update is available.
Wuauserv is a Windows update service that works only when an update is released.
Sometimes, this Wuauserv service starts using high amounts of CPU, which causes the system to process slowly. This reduces system speed and makes the computer very hot.
You can use any of the solutions in this guide to easily resolve this error. The simplest solution is to update your Windows system.
However, if updating the system is the reason behind this error, then uninstalling the recent update should resolve the problem.
The problem may also occur if there are any corrupt files in the software distribution folder. In this case, deleting the contents of the folder should solve the problem.
However, if nothing works, Wuauserv should solve the problem of high CPU usage by stopping it from its roots, causing it.
Now after reading the complete information here that showed you about the various ways out to resolve the issue, you have the comment section below that will help you to drop your feedback or suggestion if any.