The influence of social media in the life of humans have been increasing at an alarming rate. Not only it is making a teenager addictive to the virtual world but also affecting the mental health of the adults and the juvenile ones. The most popular ones among the social media are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and tons of other social media platforms.
How Social Media Affects Mental Health
While Snapchat allows users to share the stories of users and that is deleted after a specific time like a limit of 24 hours and Facebook allows many features like share photos, videos and chat with their friends. The social media allows the users to improve their communication skills and express tidbits of your life in front of their real and virtual friends.
According to the recent research published, with the use Facebook, there was a huge negative impact on a human because they started to move away from their real social life and were more attracted to the virtual world. Anyone with a smartphone who actively participates in the social platforms every time checks his phone when a message pops-up. So on average, a person views his phone more than 30 times and this number varies from person to person. Here we will discuss the top causes on how social media affects mental health and how we can overcome this predicament.
Most of the people who use social media platforms are posting their blogs and memories of vacations and also the daily chores. If we go back to nineties when the phone was not in the list of the invention then it was replaced by the newspapers but that was more informational than the current smartphone. Every time you travel on public transport you can find a maximum of the people who are always doing some or the other stuff in their phones. As each coin has two different sides the usage of this platform also has its own positive and negative effects on the users.
What Benefits you will get while using Social Media?
Social Media could be a useful tool for business as we as for improving the connectivity among persons. If you have a friend who is sitting far away from your reach then calling him could cost you some extra bucks but by the use of social media you can just post a text and you can get the information about his health and well-being. So it has many advantages and few of them are listed below.
- Connectivity: You are anywhere in the world, you can connect with your near and dear ones.
- Education: In the field of education a lot of students get benefitted by social media as the experts from all around the world post their knowledge in different fields on their social media handle.
- Help: Getting help has never been easy since the evolution of social media. You can connect to different forums and get your issue resolved from their experiences.
- Stay Updated: The latest updates and information is readily circulated in the social media and with a bit of research you can get updated with the latest piece of content.
- Promote your business: If you have a business and are not attracting many customers then you can readily make a page on social media and promote your business.
So these were some of the benefits that you could get from social media. Now we will see how does social media affect mental health and how to overcome it.
Health Issues Related to Social Media
Social Media adversely affects the regular routine of a person. Usage of this platform in excess could result in extreme shock that acts as a slow poison for the life of a person. You can find many of the persons just taking a perfect selfie to be uploaded in their social media handle and getting likes.
Many of the people get lazy by the excessive use of networking platforms. According to a study those who spent more time on social media had 2.2 times more risk of body image concerns rather as compared to those who spent less time. Here is a list of issues that deserves attention to prevent such kind of health issues.
- Reduced Sleep: When you use too much of your phone then your sleep cycle is disturbed. Handling your social media accounts,
posting on Instagram and chatting late night could have adverse effects on the sleep cycle. Then you don’t get up early and are late for the office or school. For reducing this just try to avoid your mobile phone 40 minutes prior before going to bed.
- Less Attentiveness: Not only your present mind but also your subconscious mind needs rest. If not given proper rest to your mind, then you are not fully awake and the whole day you could get hallucinations. Try to make your willpower strong. Decide a period where you will not look at your smartphone.
- More Unhappiness: Indulging in too much virtual world could lead to depression and unhappiness as you are totally isolated from the real world.
Those friends in your virtual world could make you laugh for some time but only the real world relationships could understand your inner feelings. Try to build more real-world friends and indulge in day to day activities. Try to play sports games that you like the most.
- Irritation: When you get a dislike or a wrong comment on your best pic that you have posted then you feel really irritated. The other person may be using it just for fun but took it seriously. Avoid those type of fake friends and stop taking social media comments and like seriously.
- Increased Suicide Risk: When anyone takes a social media comment too seriously then it may lead to depression and hence a risk of life. Exercise regularly for at least half an hour every day. It will help you to keep control on your mental health.
If you are taking too much stress on the social media and likes of the people then you need to pay attention to these tips seriously and work upon them. These kinds of the phenomenon are exhibited mainly by teenagers and social media.
- Set your boundary for social media. In the beginning, turn off the notifications for 1 hour every day. You can increase the amount of limit as you get adapted to the time.
- Make an alteration to your apps that worry you. Add more apps that are health-related and helps you in your daily routine.
- Instead of phone alarm, you have to use the traditional alarm clock to wake up in the morning.
- Make a day in your life every week to restrain yourself from social media accounts.
- Make a habit to place your phone on the table – far away from your bed.
So these were some of the suggestions that you can probably try to make your day away from your smartphone and know why social media is bad.
The world was going healthy and then came the smartphones with social media apps. There is a good world away from these virtual worlds. Try to stay away as much as you can from the social media accounts and don’t unnecessarily load your mind with fake profiles as we now know how social media affect mental health and the other problems related to them. If you have any more suggestions on how to stay away from these paradigms then do tell us in the comment section below. Till then Stay healthy and Stay blessed.