There is an amazing feature in the Galaxy S9 and S9+. If you want to expand your storage then smartphone has the capacity to expand its storage up to 2 TB with a samsung flash drive.
A USB flash drive is considered to be the most convenient tool to share the files from and to the Galaxy S9 and S9+. In addition to the microSD card, you can use the USB flash drive to expand the Galaxy S9 storage.
Samsung Flash Drive
This guide will let you know about the USB storage operations and why you need the USB flash drive for the memory expansion. We will also see how you can use the samsung flash drive 128gb to expand the storage.
Why There is a Need to use the USB Flash Drive on Galaxy S9 and S9+
The expansion of the storage could be done using the micro SD card also but in some cases, you need to expand far more storage than micro SD card. Using the USB flash drive is more easy and accessible than using the micro SD card.
- In case you are using 2 SIMs then you will not be able to use the micro SD card, in this case you want to use the USB flash drive.
- Or you have to share large volumes of content through the USB then you need a USB flash drive.
- You want to share the files and data without giving your phone to the sharing authority.
- When you want to share large volumes of content between PC and mobile, so the USB flash drive is faster than the traditional USB cable.
You can also use the USB flash drive to store the offline videos and music files. The USB flash drive could be used on different devices without even copying the file on the device.
Limitations of Using a USB Flash Drive on Galaxy S9 and S9+
The USB flash drive is a plug-n-play device but it does not work in some cases. Read this section to get to know about the limitations of using a USB flash drive on Galaxy S9 and S9+.
- The USB flash drive does not support NTFS File system. When you format the drive, make sure that you format using the exFat or the FAT32 format. By default the NTFS file system is applied, you have to change to FAT32 for this purpose.
- When you format the USB flash drive using the FAT32 file format then you have the limitation that you cannot copy files larger than 4GB.
- By default, the USB flash drive does not have the USB type-C port. You have to use the type C connector for connecting the USB to the device.
In case you are planning to buy the USB flash drive for your smartphone, make sure that you use the dual USB flash drive with a USB type C connector for mobile and USB type A connector for PC.
Steps to use a USB flash drive on Galaxy S9 and S9+
When you connect the USB flash drive into the USB type C port then it will immediately recognize the flash drive. A notification will pop up on the screen when the USB flash drive is inserted into the port. A USB icon will also be displayed on the screen indicating that the USB flash drive has been inserted.
If your USB flash drive does not have the USB type C port then in such condition you can also connect it through the USB connector. Insert the USB connector in the phone and you will get the same notifications as to when you connect the USB flash drive.
How to Open the USB Flash Drive?
Follow these steps to open the USB flash drive on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+.
- Tap on the notification that appeared on the screen. By default, the My files app will open.
- You can also expand the notification to get more options related to the USB flash drive.
- When you will expand the notification panel then you will get options like – Open the flash drive and Unmount the flash drive from the smartphone.
When you will open the flash drive then you will get the following options:
- Internal Storage: It is the internal storage or phone storage.
- SD Card: It is the external SD card or the micro SD card that is inserted on the Galaxy S9 and S9+.
- USB Storage 1: it is the USB flash drive that is currently inserted in the smartphone.
Now you Have to tap on USB Storage 1:
When you will open the USB Storage 1, it will display all the files and folders present on the USB storage which you can just use it in a similar way as you use the micro SD card.
The file can also be pinned on the home screen but it will be removed as soon as you remove the USB flash drive. You can also copy or move the files from the storage.
Steps to Manage USB Flash Drive on Galaxy S9 and S9+
You can use the USB flash drive in My Files app but management could not be done in My Files. You can manage the USB flash drive in the Device maintenance similar to managing the micro SD card.
- First, open the settings then open the Device maintenance.
- In the device management tap on Storage.
- In the storage page, you will find the micro SD card but not eh USB storage.
- TO access the storage setting you have to tap on the three vertical dots located on the upper right corner of the screen.
- It will display the USB flash drive.
- To unmount the storage you can tap on the eject button.
- The screen will display the two options of Format and Unmount.
- In case you choose to format the USB flash drive then it will erase the files that is present on the disk. When the data is erased once, it cannot be recovered back.
- When you will tap on the Unmount button, the screen will display the following message “Now it is safe to remove the USB flash drive from the phone”.
Unmount the USB Storage Before Removing it From Galaxy S9 and S9+
Unmounting the storage is necessary before removing it from the Samsung device otherwise it may damage the USB storage. So always remember and keep this as a habit to unmount the storage before removing or ejecting it.
Now we have discussed how to use the Samsung flash drive on your Galaxy S9 and S9+. For more questions and answers, or you have any problem regarding the flash drive then you can contact us through the comment section below. Your comments are valuable to us.