Once in a while, you needed to be extracting the content of msi file so that you can customize a development for your particular network environment.
Sometimes initializing the .msi installer will temporarily extracts the files into C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp but those files are removed once the installed exits.
So, if you want to extract files from an .msi file at the command line then simply type:
msiexec /a PathToMSIFile /qb TARGETDIR=DirectoryToExtractTo
And in order to extract the file from f:\zenworks\zfdagent.msi into c:\zfd701 you will have to follow this configuration below:
msiexec /a f:\zenworks\zfdagent.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\zfd701
But one thing to mind is that the destination directory should not exist prior to this command.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
From the below-given section, you will find the related information about MSI that helps you get your concept clear. So go through the below-given information here:
- How do I run an MSI file from command prompt?
Use the “Search Program and Files” to get the cmd.exe option and right-click it to run it as an administrator. Now you will be able to run any .msi file as an administrator from the command prompt.
- How do I run an MSI file in silent mode?
Navigate to the folder that contains your MSI file. Click once in the address bar at the top of the file manager to view the path to the file. Click the Start button, type “run” in the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu and press “Enter” to open the Run utility. Press “Enter” to run the MSI in silent mode.
- How do I run a program as an administrator using CMD?
Open the Start menu and type “cmd.exe.” Right-click “cmd.exe” from the “Programs” list of results, then click “Run as administrator.” Type the name of the file directly if it is a “.exe” file, for example, “setup.exe” and press “Enter” to immediately run the installer with administrative permissions
- How do I extract an MSI file?
Extracting MSI files:
- Tap on the Windows-key and type cmd.
- Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Confirm the user account control prompt if it appears.
- Use the command msiexec /an msifilepath/qb TARGETDIR=targetpath.
- How do I find the setup files on my computer?
How to Find the Executable File for a Program:
- Open the shortcut properties window. Find the shortcut you click on to open the program. …
- Look in the Target: field. In the window that comes up, find the Target: field. …
- Navigate to the EXE file. Open Computer (or My Computer for Windows XP).
- How do I open an MSI file?
To open an MSI file, download or copy the installation file. Install the Windows Installer on your system. Complete the program installation, lastly, Windows Installer program automatically loads and opens files as you Double-click on the MSI files. An MSI file is an installer for Microsoft Windows Installer.
- Where can I find MSI uninstall string?
Using msiexec.exe command line: You can locate the required GUID to pass to msiexec.exe /x by opening regedit.exe at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and search for the application name (or just browse through each subfolder till u find it).
- How do I uninstall MSI silently?
Silently uninstall a patch:
- Log in to the host from which you want to uninstall with the installation account user ID. You must have local administrative privileges on this host.
- Obtain the Process Manager Patch package. …
- Open a command prompt and use the Msiexec command to uninstall.
One you have read the complete article above regarding Msiexec Switches then you must be knowing about all the related process about how can you easily Extract File from .MSI file Using Window Command Line, this might have helped you with all the mandatory steps that helps you with the related steps as well.
From the above article we have tried to give you the best step by step process with complete illustration that helps you in getting your problem resolved easily. Now that you have read the article completely, then you are also given with the frequently asked questions and answer that gives you another level of Msiexec Switches clarification.
Hope this article have given you all the information that you needed regarding the top. If you have any query or feedback then, you can simply visit the below given comment section and drop your perspective below.