Windows 10 is a blessing for most people, especially for those who are fascinated with the latest technologies. With inbuilt new features, it has a lot of bugs and errors, agree or not, this is the bitter truth. The most recent issue that is being faced is when someone tries to connect a Generic Pnp Monitor.
Generic Pnp Monitor
Must Check: Regex101
It is clear that this is a driver problem, but it may also be related to a cable or hardware problem. Below, are some easy ways to overcome this obstacle of Generic PnP monitor Step by Step.
What is a Normal PnP monitor?
PnP stands for Plug and Play. In simple words, when you connect an external device (USB device, card reader, and monitor) to the computer, Windows detects the hardware and installs the correct driver for it to run correctly.
When you plug in a generic PnP monitor in Windows 10, the basic driver is automatically installed. This can either result in proper functioning or you may not get the necessary resolution. Windows 10 may also not be able to fully install the driver.
Follow as Display Settings> Advanced Settings> Monitor> Properties to check the monitor type you are using.
Must Check: International Keyboard Windows 10
Why do you See a Generic PnP Monitor in Device Manager?
The Device Manager panel shows all internal and external devices installed on the PC / Laptop. Generic PnP monitor problems do not usually occur on laptops because it works as a default option, whatever the version of Windows that is installed on it. This problem usually occurs on PC / Desktop.
Open Device Manager, you will find the generic PnP monitor in the monitor’s dropdown.
Typically, below are the reasons that may result in PnP / non PnP monitor problems.
- When you upgrade the system from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10, your all-in-one PC / desktop may have a generic PnP monitor issue.
- If you have a graphics card installed in your system and you are trying to connect a monitor using a VGA or HDMI cable.
- When you are trying to connect a second monitor to the CPU, it appears as a generic PnP monitor in the Device Manager panel.
Must Check: Spotify Not Responding
Quick Fix Guide for Generic PnP Monitor Problem in Windows 10
You may want to find the exact issue. Go to Device Manager Panel and if you find a yellow exclamation with Generic PnP Monitor option, you might want the follow the below steps to fix the issue.
Update Generic PnP Monitor Driver
While facing such type of problem and issue, there is a huge chance that the issue is being caused due to Driver. And this proven method usually works for many users.
- First of all open the Device Manage Panel.
- Then Expand the Monitor option and then simply right click on Generic PnP Monitor and also click on Update Driver Option that is available there.
- Now here a dialog box opens and there you will have to click on Search automatically for ‘updated Driver Software’. Windows will search for the driver that is available on the internet and hence the system simply will download and install it automatically.
- The system restarts automatically if the issue further prevails that means the previous step didn’t work as Window was not able to find the require driver.
- Now click on the ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ option. That is available there.
- Now click on ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’.
- Now simply click on the box that is present net to Show Compatible Hardware option that is available there. Now this further will show you the compatible devices. Now here look for the compatible device and then install it.
- Now simply restart the PC once the Driver is simply installed.
Now this should resolve the problem and then try the next option if this further doesn’t work.
Must Check: Audio Services Not Responding
Update the Display the Card Drivers There
The unsupportive display card driver also can be the reason that causes the issue and in such a case simply try updating graphics card driver. In order to do that, simply follow the below given step by step process and illustration as it is mentioned.
First of all open the Device Manager Panel
Now simply expand the Display Adapter option that is available there, right click on your graphics card there and then click on the Update Driver option that is available there.
Must Check: Widevine Content Decryption Module
A dialog box simply click on Search automatically for update driver software. Windows will search for drivers on the Internet; the system will automatically download and install it.
After the Driver Is Installed, Restart Your System
If Windows is unable to find the driver, go to the graphics card manufacturer’s website, look for the latest driver, download and install it.
This should fix the problem if not try the next method.
Must Check: Chrome Find and Replace
Uninstall Generic PnP Monitor Driver
Rolling back already existing driver further helps you overcome the issue at times. In this method, you simply have to uninstall the generic Pnp Monitor Driver. Below are the complete Step by step Process for your Quick Solution:
Follow the Device Manage> Monitor> Generic PNP Monitor> Uninstall
These command above is going to help you uninstall the monitor easily.
Choose Scan for Hardware Changes
As you do the above process, Windows will automatically going to detect the monitor and simultaneously install the required driver again.
And if this didn’t help you still, simply follow the next method mentioned you below.
Must Check: Best NES Emulator For Windows 10
Run System File Checker
It works as an automatic troubleshooter. When you do this action, the system automatically checks the problematic drivers and corrupt system files, repairing / repairing them. To do this, follow the steps given below.
First step goes as Command Prompt that you will have to type in the search box, right-click on the Command Prompt option that is available there and then select Run as administrator.
Must Check: Discord Stuck On Starting
Now as the command window opens, there you will have to type sfc/scannow and then press the enter button of your keyboard.
Now your system will scan the issue and fix the same automatically. This further might take some time and so be patient.
If this doesn’t work, try the next method that is given you below.
Check for Window 10 Updates
It is very important for you to update your window time to time as it arrives in the market because the application that supports the latest version of the window. This also helps you to fix many errors as well as bugs.
Command to use:
Must Check: Desktop Windows Manager High CPU DWM.exe
Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
Select Check for Updates
In case you find any pending update related to your operating system, then window will simply download and then update the operating system automatically.
And if this still lack working, then you can simply check its last resolution as well.
Must Check: Unable to Connect to NVIDIA
Reconnect Your Monitor
Those for the Desktop users, the method you are going to see definitely helps you and hence it is mandatory for you to perform the below given steps and execute it in the method below.
- First of all simply Turn off/Shut Down your PC
- Now remove the Power cord available there and also the VGA/HDMI cable and then Plug in again by just waiting for a few minutes.
- Now simply reboot the PC.
- Now you can find window automatically detect the monitor’s model and then install the related driver that is required.
- This method should definitely resolve the generic PnP monitor issue.
You may further want to perform one or more methods which is to resolve the issue as well effectively. And not only that these are the tested and then helped to resolve the issue for many people as well.
Must Check: Wuauserv
What is a generic non PnP monitor?
A generic non-PNP monitor means that your monitor driver was not installed properly, it should have been replaced by the device name.
Can I uninstall generic PnP monitor?
Removing a piece of hardware from Device Manager only removes the drivers, when you reboot the laptop, Windows will still see the hardware and install the drivers for it. My computer. You can’t actually uninstall the generic PnP monitor driver – it’s built into Windows.
Does my monitor need a driver?
Plug and play monitors usually do not require a separate monitor driver. There are features for Acer Monitor that are not supported by the Windows PnP driver, you can download the driver from our driver and manual section. inf – Supply Windows with the make, model, and resolution that your monitor can run
How do you update a monitor?
- How to update drivers using Device Manager
- Open start.
- Search for Device Manager and click on the top result to open the experience.
- Double-click the category with the device you want to update.
- Right-click the device, and select the update driver option.
- Click automatically search for updated driver software option.
How do I find out what monitor I have?
Right click on the desktop and choose “Personalize”.
Choose “Display Settings”> “Advanced Settings”.
Choose “Monitor”> “Properties”.
Under the “Driver” section, the manufacturer as well as the monitor making and driver information will be listed. This can be useful for troubleshooting as well as for reference.
How do you check if my drivers are up to date?
Open the Control Panel and choose “Hardware and Sound,” then “Device Driver”. Select devices that may require a driver update. Choose “Action” and then “Update Driver Software.” The system will scan for your current drivers and check if an updated version is available.
Generic Pnp Monitor error usually occurs for the person having an older generation of Window operating system and this is not mandatory because this might be the issue of many using the normal operating system as well.
As you have read the above information, completely, by now you are clear and familiar with all the issue that occurs related to ‘Generic Pnp Monitor’ and not only that the various ways to get the problem sorted out as well.
Hence if you have found this article helpful and solving your error and you want someone to make use of it, then you can simply approach the below given comment section and get the solution for the related reason as well. If you like your acquaintances to make use of it, you can simply share to them also.